Friday 13 April 2007

Typing in Hindi

Blogger now supports Hindi (more correctly, the Devanagari script), and I'm curious to try it out.

मेरा नाम गणेश प्रसाद हैयह मेरा ब्लॉग है और मैं यह जांच करना चाहता हूँ कि यह software कितना स्मार्ट होता है
(My name is Ganesh Prasad. This is my blog and I want to find out how smart this software is.)

Not so cool. Either I'm missing something, or Blogger still doesn't know the conventional way to type 'pra', 'ki' or 'smart'.

But I guess I shouldn't be churlish. I didn't have to use the mixed case spelling that has evolved as the de facto Roman script standard to represent Devanagari letters. It'll get better, I know it will.

आज अच्छा है, कल और भी अच्छा होगा
(It's good today, and it'll get better tomorrow.)

Update 23/05/2008: I see that the fonts have suddenly changed, and the words look correct now. The only thing I can think of is that I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) 3 days ago. So maybe it wasn't Blogger that was to blame after all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not so cool yet ! Right ! Imagine blogs being flooded with comments in all diferent languages !! Will need an inteligent small plugin that would translate ...