Thursday 24 June 2010

Julia's Caesar

Et tu, Julia? Then fall, Kevin.

It must have been the most unkindest cut of all to have one's hitherto loyal deputy turn so savagely against them.

Today's coup had all the hallmarks of that classic Shakespearean tragedy.

The out-of-touch autocrat, the shadowy conspirators, the honourable front-person recruited to the cause, the treacherous assassination, and so on right down to the "Not that I loved Kevin less" speech.

[...] It’s these beliefs that have been my compass during the three and half years of the most loyal service I could offer to my colleague, Kevin Rudd. I asked my colleagues to make a leadership change. A change because I believed that a good Government was losing its way. [...] I love this country and I was not going to sit idly by and watch an incoming Opposition cut education, cut health and smash rights at work.

She may as well have said her former boss was "as dear to me as are the ruddy drops that visit my sad heart" (Act II, Scene I). One has to appreciate the genius of the bard...

And in the other unremarked tragedy (for Australia at least), Lindsay Tanner, perhaps the most competent minister in the Rudd cabinet, has resigned. Of course it was all for "family reasons", but it seems a bit of a coincidence that Tanner (along with Anthony Albanese - Marc Anthony?) was one of the very few people to support Rudd in the face of the backstabbery hatched by these fine public figures.

I voted for the Labor party in 2007 believing that Kevin Rudd would be PM for the full term of the government. Now some people I don't know have replaced him with someone else for reasons I don't understand, and I haven't been consulted. This voter is angry (and is not alone by the looks of it). If it had been Peter Costello heading the Liberals instead of that clown Abbott, I would have switched loyalties in a heartbeat. [Who knows, it could now very well be the turn of the Liberals' backroom boys to develop cold feet and do a Caesar on Abbot.]

I used to like Julia Gillard and wanted her to be PM someday. Now I'm not so sure. It's hard to like someone who's holding a bloodstained knife.

Even if they are honourable.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

She had been honing her knife for quiet sometime, no doubt about it. Ruthless lady. I completely agree that if Peter Costello is back, most of us would switch with out much pondering. As of today there is no choice for many voters like you and me. Maybe Go Green! But definitely no go for Labour. They are messing up everywhere :(.

Unknown said...

She was always the hand that rocked the 'cradle' and now has rocked the 'grave'. She out witted Rudd who was a straight guy (in a political and relative sense). The mining tax proposal was BAD ... right from the very word go. That is called MILKING 'in-flight' and in a developed country this is not done - you can understand an Emerging Market Risk Premium attached to a country like India having flight risk issues. THis is new for Australia and the market had not liked it. The market also does not like Gillard but has not choice. She too will not survive as Mark Latham has outlined.

Roshan said...

With Kevin Rudd's popularity dipping Julia had no choice but put her hand up. Politics is the new reality TV show. Why do we have to have weekly polls on which is the preferred prime minister and what party would come to power if the elections were held this week? We all get to phone in to evict a prime minister now. IMO the villain in this case is the AC Nielsen poll. Once every 4 years is good enough, we don't want politicians running for Mr/Miss Congeniality with every policy decision.
On the Shakespeare analogies, are these being used more as there is a Julia involved and not a Julian? I heard of a 'Lady Macbeth blood on hands' on the news report. Did Tony Abbott not do the same to Malcolm Turnbull?