Tuesday 28 February 2012

Recipe for Masala Omelette

What's so special about an omelette, anyway? Well, after a lot of experimentation, I've discovered how to make one with a subtly different flavour and texture. I call it a "masala omelette". Try this recipe to see if it works for you.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/2 onion
1/2 chilli pepper (Jalapeno)
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
Seasoning paste (I used a Mediterranean seasoning with basil, oregano, garlic and bell peppers)
Salt and Pepper

Procedure:
Mix two eggs with salt, pepper and a squeeze of seasoning paste and stir well until uniform. Set aside in a bowl.

Seasoning paste - the "masala"

Chop the onion and chilli peppers finely and fry in grapeseed oil in a saucepan until the onions are almost brown. I always fry the onions and chillies first. I know lots of people just add them to the eggs and pour the mixture into the saucepan, but I think fried onions taste better.

An aroma to die for

Now transfer the fried onions and chillies into the bowl with the eggs and mix in well.

Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and make the omelette as usual, turning over when appropriate.

Yum! All that remains is to ruin it with ketchup :-)

The garlic, I suspect, causes the omelette to fluff up a little more than normal. The seasoning paste gives the omelette a subtly different flavour, a blend of spicy chilli peppers, garlic and herbs.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Subbu said...

What is grapeseed oil ? This is the first time I am coming across such a vegetable oil.

I was expecting the tube displayed would be 777 brand. Disappointed beyond words.

Subbu said...

What is grapeseed oil ? I am coming cross such an oil for the first time.

I expected the tube containing the essence to be of 777 brand. I am disappointed beyond words !

The finished masala omlette looks yummy.

prasadgc said...

Grapeseed oil, according to Wikipedia, has a high "smoke point", hence is better suited to cooking than other oils such as olive oil.

> I was expecting the tube displayed would be 777 brand. Disappointed beyond words.

Globalisation in action - Indian concepts, Western ingredients ;-)

> The finished masala omlette looks yummy.

Tastes yummy too, I assure you ;-).