Saturday 21 October 2017

"I Want To Sleep On Your Snout..." And Other Tales Of Monsterly Affection

A curious game evolved in our family when my son was growing up. When he would come upon me lying on my back, he would climb on top of me and press his cheek against my nose. Finding it hard to breathe, I would tickle him to get him off me, and that became a recurring game.

He would approach me saying, "I want to sleep on your nose!" He had a cute Aussie accent too, and to me it sounded like, "I want to sleep on your na-ous!" So I mimicked him, going, "I want to sleep on your snout!"

And suddenly that developed into a full-blown story of a baby monster playing with papa monster and demanding to be allowed to do all sorts of alliterative things:

"I want to sleep on your snout!"

"I want to hold your horns!"

"I want to feel your fangs!"

"I want to touch your talons!"

"I want to walk on your wings!"

"I want to stroke your scales!"

"I want to twist your tail!"

Long after my own baby monster grew up and went to University (not Monsters University, thankfully!), I was browsing at K-Mart when I came across this DVD.

The wings seem to be tucked away, and there are no scales, only fur and a spiny back, but I won't complain too much.

I had to take a picture of the DVD and text it to my son.

You remember the baby monster that told its papa all the alliterative things it wanted to do ("I want to hold your horns, I want to feel your fangs", etc.)? What do you think they looked like?

The response was as expected.

Hahaha we need to watch that

So I bought the DVD. I discovered there was a prequel to this one, so I bought that too.

I'm pedantic about a number of things, especially about sets. If there's a prequel, we must have the prequel. If there's a set, we must have the whole set.

So when the baby monster comes home on holidays next, we'll probably have a binge-watching session, initiated by, "I want to devour your DVDs!"

No comments: